Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Chihuahua Berry Farms

D has always wanted his own garden, so this past weekend we started ours! D bought a book last week called Square Foot Gardening, on Saturday we bought the necessary supplies and on Sunday we started building. Okay, so I wasn't involved in the building of the boxes--I left that to D and my dad.


My dad cutting some lumber
The empty garden boxes
My dad removing the shrubs that were blocking the A/C units
Getting ready to mix the soil (consisting of 5 different types of compost, vermiculite, and peat moss)



Baby Dan not looking too happy about being stuck inside
You can now see the A/C units!
D measuring and marking where the grid will go
The ladies!
D and I forgot to put the lady bugs out at sundown and we remembered while in bed.
So at midnight, in our p.j.'s, we went outside to let them
2 lizards looking for their shrubs

The finished garden!
Isn't it perfect?!

In the 4x8 box we are growing tomatoes, small hot peppers, red & yellow bell peppers, green beans, cucumbers, carrots and some herbs (oregano & dill). He may or may not transfer his other herbs (basil, sage, thyme, rosemary) and his jalapeno and serrano peppers the boxes. And we haven't started anything in the 4x4 box (which is a foot deep)--this will likely be where we grow our cantaloupe!

And yesterday D officially named our garden "Chihuahua Berry Farms"! I love it!

3 comments:

Amanda @ Click. The Good News said...

How awesome! I tried getting that book, but we just weren't that organized! We'll trade you some cucumbers for berries ;)

~Danialle said...

landshark berry farms - I LOVE IT lol no really...thats a cute name - go D!

your garden looks great, my friend did this and she loves it good luck with it!!

Jessica O. said...

Cute!!! My yard is a mess. I have a bit of a black thumb. I kill everything that is green and living (not on purpose!).

Hey, look at that. They sell bagged ladybugs?! Never knew that.