Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Vanilla Bean Pear Compote
recipe adapted from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home
2 pounds of Comice pears, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
2 cups of Sauvignon Blanc (or other dry white wine)
1/2 cup of sugar
1 vanilla bean
1. In a large pot, combine the wine, sugar and cloves.
2. Split the vanilla bean in half and scrape the seeds into the mixture. Add in the pod itself.
3. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves, then add the pear slices.
4. Add enough water to cover the pears, and dial the heat down a notch. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the pears are translucent and can easily be pierced with a fork.
5. Remove the pears from the mixture using a slotted spoon and place into a large container with a tight seal.
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Pear and Vanilla Bean Compote
Cream Soda Syrup
A handmade ornament
Holiday Spiced Sugar
Candied Pecans (spiced with honey and fleur de sel)
Cranberry-Pistachio Cornmeal Biscotti
Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
Homemade Country Loaf
Dan’s Secret BBQ sauce